I get a little paper, The Acorn. It comes on Friday...I think. It's free so I don't really pay attention to when it comes, but I do read it from front page to back. I love it. It is a small paper that comes to my town and the surrounding communities, it features stories about our local high schools (whatever sport is in season and how they are doing, that kind of thing), it has the Sheriff's Blotter (which has info on theft, burglary and where in town it is happening), and it has an Opinion Page.
This last week, it had a small blurb: Tell us what makes your Mom so special. In 100 words or less, write to us and tell us why your Mother is so special.
I plan to do this! They had one for Valentine's Day: 100 words or less and tell us your story of how you met your spouse....I wrote and it was published!
I know my Mom and I have not been close all my life....who is close with their mom when they are teens? I sure wasn't. We really were not close until I moved out...and it wasn't right away, either. I moved out when I was 19 and in with my boyfriend, who later became my 1st husband...my parents were less then thrilled with me "living in sin" so we were not close, yet.
When I became pregnant with my oldest, my mom and I found a closeness. I was young and she could only support me, right? She was with me when Hayden was born and again when Kylie was born. We had a good relationship...me being a new mom and her being a new Grandma!
I had to leave my husband and divorce him and move into my parents house, with my 2 children, they were young, 5 and 3...it was a hard time in my life but I had both my parents and my mom really went to bat for me. I worked nights and she took care of my children when I was not there to. She made them dinner and made sure they had baths and got them to bed. It was about 5 months I lived with my parents. They are wonderful for allowing me and the kids to stay with them during a hard time, I will never forget that.
Then, I moved into a house (that they got for me...my parents rock! doncha think?) with my children and got a regular job, a 8-5 type and I had Kylie in preschool for the day and Hayden was in Kindergarten, picked up by the YMCA van every day.
When my mom finally retired from her job, she picked up my kids from school. She was there for them, again when I couldn't be, since I had to work. Being a single mom is no easy task!
So, I just have to say: my Mom is the BEST MOM EVER! She continually has put things on hold and is there for me and my kids. Even today, she is picking up Kylie from school. Takes her to practice piano and then brings her home. I babysit daily, so I can' t leave. If Mom can't do it then Dad does.
My Mom and I had a great talk just this morning about relationships. We both agree that we are so happy that we can talk to each other about most anything and we are not afraid of hurting each other's feelings. My Mom has become my friend over the years and that makes me smile!
I think it has taken us years to get where we are, but it has been well worth the wait!
Please, share with me about your Mom and what are your plans for Mother's Day??
We are planning on going to the Los Angeles Natural History Museum for Mother's Day...for MY Mother's Day, so I may have to celebrate with my Mom the day before!
No comments:
Post a Comment