Thursday, June 17, 2010

It Happened At Work


I will never forget this day as long as I live.


I was a young woman, 20, married and pregnant. I was working for a small credit reporting agency. I had my own desk and phone. I was 5 months pregnant.


Again, I was young, so I had no clue about all the testing they do on pregnant woman, to check different things on the baby. I had already done the glucose test, you know the one where they make you drink the yucky stuff and they check your blood for sugar. I had already done other testing they do in the first few months.


The one test I had done, was the AFP Screening. This simple blood test can detect if the baby you are carrying could possibly have certain genetic abnormalities, such as spina bifida or Downs Syndrome.


I got the call at work one day...that my test came back abnormal, like that of a woman who was 40 rather then 20 yrs old! I was shocked and really couldn't talk. So, I listened to the Dr and was told I can come in and have an amniocentesis, which can test further to see if there was anything wrong with my baby. Well, this procedure has major side affects, miscarriage.


So there you have it. My day was completely ruined and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, the Dr informs me that if, after the amniocentesis, I decided I didn't want my baby, I could have the pregnancy terminated! Remember, I was already 5 months and could feel the baby move.


That has to be one of the worst days in history for me, at work.


Brought to you by Mama Kat's Writers Work Shop.



Mama's Losin' It


7 comments:

Natalie said...

Awful news to get at work. Talk about falling apart at the worst place possible!

I also received horrible news at work once - when my MIL was diagnosed with cancer. I will never forget that either.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That must have been terrifying! And to get it at work, where you are expected to behave professionally no matter what is going on... That's horrible.

Thanks for visiting my blog.. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. That must have been terrifying! And to get it at work, where you are expected to behave professionally no matter what is going on... That's horrible.

Thanks for visiting my blog.. :)

Cyndy Bush said...

How terrifying! I guess everything was ok though?

Killara girl said...

i tell you they put a pregnant woman thru hell here...i skipped my last 3 prenatals...bad i know, but i go thru it again!

Coby said...

Oh gosh! What a scary experience! I know doctors have to give you every bit of information to cover their own booties, but STILL! I can't even imagine being told that about my baby!

I received horrible news at work once - a friend of mine had passed away at the age of 29. I knew it was coming, but still...and foolishly I thought I could stay at work and handle it. Yeah...that lasted all of 5 minutes.

Mrs4444 said...

I had the same experience; they told us Kendall has a type of cyst on her brain that was normally associated with a Trisomy condition. We were advised the same and chose to take our chances. Obviously, the cyst resolved itself, and we have a beautiful daughter, thank God.

I hope everything turned out for you, as well.