Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Enrolling a kid in Kindergarten is no easy task!

I am enrolling Serena into Kindergarten for the Fall! I am so excited for her and nervous at the same time. So, I call the district to see what school she will be going to and I get the name and call them to find out about registration. They tell me I can download the pages from the Internet....I was like ummm I don't have a printer....so they tell me I can come down the week of March 1st thru the 5th to get the paperwork and then fill it out and return it the following week, this week March 8th thru the 12th.....I go and pick up the paperwork, let me tell you...it is a 15 page packet, I kid you not!!!! only 5 of them are information pages and the rest you fill out.

The first form is a Student Enrollment Form, they as you the usual stuff, students name, address and parents names and where they work....blah, blah blah

This page is from the Permanent Health History paper....they are seriously asking about when she was born?! They want birth height and weight and type of delivery....ok since when does this have any bearing on enrolling for school???? NONE WHAT SO EVER, if you ask me!

This is from the Oral Health Assessment Form, which is new to me. Apparently you have to take your kid to the dentist and they have to fill this one out.....one of the informational letters I got in my wonderful packet was this..."Dental decay is the most chronic childhood disease, more common than both asthma and obesity, affecting nearly two-thirds of California's children by the time they reach third grade. Remember your child is not healthy and ready for school if he or she has poor dental health." Man times have really changed!

This was the most decent of them all, the immunizations they need, or rather are required for school entry....Serena is going to need some shots to get current according to this.

Another paper I received was the Overflow Disclaimer Letter, which lets you know that students new to the area will be placed at their neighborhood schools on a space available basis. Wonderful, now she might not even go here???

Then there is the Residence Verification Form, to be sure you are living where you say you are.

Ethnic/Language Group Designation Form and the Home Language Survey.

Kindergarten Student Information Form, which is to asses how much your kid knows.

oh and then need a Report of Health Examination for School Entry which is to be filled out by the pediatrician or general practitioner...

UUFDA! I have signed my name so much for all these papers I feel like I am buying a new car!

But at least my baby will be starting school in September....now I just have to prepare her for it, that I am going to leave her there for ummm 4 hours....the kid is so attached to me it is not even funny. She goes everywhere with me and if I do leave her home, when I get back she is telling me she was looking for me...wish me luck! or better yet say a prayer, we are going to need them!

1 comment:

ck said...

4 hours? That's it? I just came back from an orientation today too (also with a thick packet) and their school day goes from 8:40-3:40.

I can't believe what it takes to enroll a kid in school.

...and how I'm not nearly as ready for it as I thought.