Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Fragments - Sandbox, Potty-training & other Randomness

The Fiesta is coming this weekend to our town. This means: carny rides and games for the kids (that are a huge waste of money, the games), lots of good stuff to look at (clothes, face painting, henna tattoo's, some junk) lots of fattening foods that are soooooooooooo yummy (these small donuts in powdered sugar, chili cook-off, beer barn, Mexican and American foods) and drinks (shaved ice, coffee stuff and beer and wine), and even entertainment (country bands, rock bands and even Mariachi! which are my favs). I will be sure to take some pics and hopefully get them on my blog before I forget or get unmotivated....which I have been a lot lately...

~~~

Did you ever think it would rain in July???? in Sunny California!? I thought it was Summer already, guess I missed the memo on the rain...really didn't see it coming or else I would not have washed my van! So, I had to go out and squeegee it off, I want this wash to last as long as possible.

~~~

Do you ever think back to when you were a kid? During summertime, when you could go out and play until the street lights came on? I think back to those days and wonder why my kids don't always want to be outside...all day long! They have a nice backyard with grass and concrete to ride their bikes and pushy toys on...they have a slide, they have tables and chairs and a sandbox (that they don't get to use that much because someone who will remain anonymous, can't seem to NOT THROW the sand, getting it into every one's hair and eyes)...so what gives? I go out and play soccer with them, I take them for rides in the wagon and play tag...

~~~

I started jogging in the afternoons with my hubby. We have gone 2 times this week, so far and have jogged almost a mile, 3 times around this HUGE grass area that used to have those fences for playing baseball...and I am sore... my hips and butt....so I guess it is working and I hope and pray to keep it up, because we need to get in better shape.

~~~

We have Netflix thru our Xbox 360 and our Wii...which is awesome because we are watching the first season of Lost (I know...where have we been...LOL we just never got into it until now) out in our family room and the kids can watch their Care Bear movies in their room, over and over and over again! (yes, we let them watch movies all the time, don't judge, LOL)

~~~

HUGE props to my little niece, Sierra! She has been potty-trained completely and that includes nights, too, for almost a week and she turns 3 tomorrow! So Double Props! and Happy Early Birthday! Sierra! From Auntie Mel! (I think I need to be more persistent with Brandon getting potty-trained, since he will be 3 in 3 weeks and 4 days....hmmm but he is a boy, right? LOL)

~~~

I was thinking back to when my older 2 kids were little...and when my step-daughter, McKayla started coming over and spending time here....that seems so long ago, since the kids are now 17, 16 and 15. Kylie and McKayla got along so much better then Serena and Ginger Girl (the one I babysit, remember?) Well, clearly I know it is usually Serena that is causing the friction, but man, I never had to bust Kylie and McKayla for fighting, arguing or whatever, they just didn't do it. Well, this one time they did and I nipped it real quick. Although they didn't fight with each other, they did with Hayden, so I guess that is the difference, they had someone older to bug, where Serena and Ginger Girl are the oldest, they don't have anyone to bug!

~~~

Now head on over to Mrs. 4444's to read all the other randomness!!

Mommy's Idea

6 comments:

4 Lettre Words said...

Congrats on the jogging!

That Fiesta food sounds yummy!!

4 Lettre Words said...

P.S. Your family is just sooo gorgeous!

Coby said...

Ha! Staying out until the street light came on - that was my rule as a kid! Summer is just one of my favorite seasons - I love the carefree attitude of it all!

Twins Squared said...

Mine watch too much TV too. I try but especially with it being summer there is a lot of that going on. But I'm with you - I would at least think they would WANT to be outside. Mine do except when the weather's bad but I have to limit them because everything revolves around the little girls' schedule.

Melanie Penelope said...

That carnival sounds like a lot of fun. I love that stuff. :)

Good luck with the jogging and potty-training!

Mrs4444 said...

If you want the kids to play outside, tell them you're going to have a "Screen-Free" day (the next day), which means no TV, movies, video games, computers, etc. When they know you're serious and that you have fun options to do instead, they'll play outside. (You might have to get together with a couple of other moms on this, too, though! :)

I'm really impressed by the jogging. I would really love it if Mr.4444 wanted to do that. Too bad he's just not into exercising :(

Hope you had a ball at the festival! :)