Saturday, February 16, 2008

Brandon's Visit To House Ear Institute

Let me see, where to begin. Last week was a busy one. Monday, Brandon went to the doc for his 6 month shots/checkup. He got 3 shots and had one in the form of liquid. He weighs 17 lbs 1 oz and is 26 inches long, doc says he is in the 50th percentile for height and weight, great, he is average!
Then, on Wednesday, we went to House Ear Institute. There they did a behavioral test on him, they hooked his ears up to little earphones and piped sounds in to his ears, and they were trying to see if he would turn his head to the right after the sound went in to the right ear, since that is his good ear. They told me that his right ear hears very normal which is great news. They also tested his hammer in the right ear and that test went well. They tried testing the left ear and well he was moving to much for the test, so we will have to do it next time. We go back on Friday, March 7th to see Dr. Luxford, he is an ENT (ear, nose and throat) dr and he will check Brandon's ears to make sure they have all the parts. This will be a good foundation so if in the future his ears change at all we can look back at what they looked like.
On Thursday, Valentine's Day, his Specialist Teacher and his Speech Therapist came to the house. They both asked a lot of questions, and the Speech Therapist said he is right where he should be for his age. Which makes us so happy! We will continue to have these 2 ladies over to the house to make sure Brandon is getting everything he needs to prepare for shoool. I know it is a long time away, but you can never prepare your self enough.
I am so happy to have all these resources available for Brandon. I forgot to ask his Specialist Teacher about a sign language book. I want to learn and teach him and Serena. I guess I need to make a trip to the library and get a book. I will keep you all posted on future appointments.

No comments: